Re: Anchorage to concrete pavers

It is expose to freeze thaw. I looked at the Tapcon values and a 3/16" x 1 1/4" will work. I will have them caulk around the screw to keep water out.

Harold, this leads to an interesting question. When you specify outdoor post-installed anchors exposed to freeze thaw, do you use expansion anchors with a caulk seal or adhesive anchors that are essentially sealed after installation? I have usually used the latter for exterior applications exposed to freeze thaw.

On 10/3/2012 6:18 PM, Harold Sprague wrote:
Drew,
Consider Tapcons for this small of a load. If this in an area of potential freeze thaw, seal the hole to prevent water from entering the hole. Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:38:52 -0800
From: dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Anchorage to concrete pavers
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com

I have a small mechanical unit anchorage project. It is an outside
condenser standing on 1 1/4" concrete pavers that extend from wall curb
to wall curb. At each anchor, the uplift forces are less than 5# and the
shear is less than 20#. The weight of a paver is enough to keep the
condenser down and the pavers can transfer the lateral force through
bearing to the wall curb. Can anyone recommend a small screw that is
applicable? I will have the holes pre-drilled to minimize the
possibility of splitting the pavers.

--
*Drew Morris, PE*| /Project Engineer/
Ph: (907)274-2236 | Fax: (907)274-2520 | Web: www.bbfm.com