RE: Anchorage to concrete pavers

Drew,
I am glad the Tapcons will work for you.  I would suggest filling the hole
with silcone sealant and screw the Tapcon into the hole and just let the
Tapcon displace the silicone.  Just sealing at the surface will not prevent
 water from getting into the hole.  Concrete is not impervious.

Because I can get higher resistance with mechanical anchors, I use
mechanical anchors and seal the holes.  I like undercut anchors and I seal
the holes if the installation is subject to freeze thaw.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 08:48:54 -0800
> From: dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com
> Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Anchorage to concrete pavers
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> It is expose to freeze thaw. I looked at the Tapcon values and a 3/16" x
> 1 1/4" will work. I will have them caulk around the screw to keep water
> out.
>
> Harold, this leads to an interesting question. When you specify outdoor
> post-installed anchors exposed to freeze thaw, do you use expansion
> anchors with a caulk seal or adhesive anchors that are essentially sealed
> after installation? I have usually used the latter for exterior
> applications exposed to freeze thaw.
>
> On 10/3/2012 6:18 PM, Harold Sprague wrote:
>> Drew,
>> Consider Tapcons for this small of a load. If this in an area of
>> potential freeze thaw, seal the hole to prevent water from entering the
>> hole. Regards, Harold Sprague

Truncated 933 characters in the previous message to save energy.