Re: Blast Door Design : Edge Rotation

I am performing a SDOF Dynamic Analysis per UFC-3-340-02 manual
(contractual requirement).

The design parameter are as follows:

Double Leaf Blast Door
Width = 16'
Height = 14.5'
Each Leaf can only be supported on two sides (top and side)
Peak Reflected Pressure = 346 psi
Time Duration of reflected pressure = 0.59ms

Using a monolithic steel plate of 1.5" thick, this is the calculated door
response:

Ductility = 0.26
Edge Rotation = 4.8 deg
Maximum Deflection = 8"
frequency = 2.75 Hz

Any suggestions on how meet the design requirements (Max Rotation 2 deg)
without making the door plate thicker ?

Thanks all for your help.

Kapil

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Mansoor Khan
<mk(--nospam--at)larsondesigngroup.com>wrote:

> The building doors are a weak link in blast resistant design. They are
> likely to be the largest opening into a building they provide the largest
> potential source of blast wave propagation if the opening fails.
> Therefore, doors need to be no weaker than the requirements for the
> design areas walls, floors etc.
>
> Per the guidelines mentioned in "Design of Blast Resistant Buildings in
> Petrochemical Facilities", an ASCE publication, your door falls into
> Category I. It further states: ...A ductility ratio of 1.0 or less
> (elastic range) and a door edge rotation of 1.2 degrees should be
> specified.
> Mansoor Khan

Truncated 653 characters in the previous message to save energy.