Lateral Load on Wood Screws

Fellow engineers,

        I have a client who wants to connect 2x4 guardrail posts to 2x6
platform joists using HSS 4x2 as a connector medium.  He will cut off part
of one 2" face of the HSS, slip it onto the end of the 2x6 and connect it
using wood screws from each side then just drop the 2x4 post inside of the
HSS.  Unfortunately, the only screw data I have is for 1/4" lag screws.

        Logic suggests that screws should have similar lateral capacity to
nails of the same diameter but require less penetration than the nails. If
so, a pattern of #12 or #14 screws by 1.75" long from each side should work
 well.  Does anyone have information regarding the use of screws for such
an application?

        Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson