RE: Site Accelerations

Tarek,
You REALLY want to put me on the spot.

This was a point of major consernation, debate, cussing and discussing in
the ASCE 7 process.  This is one of those connection issues.  The various
sections of the IBC invoke various sections and issues of the ASCE 7.  The
ASCE 7 draws from the NEHRP various documents.  There was a huge change
that came into the ASCE 7-10.  (Preview: There will be more subtile changes
 in teh ASCE 7-10 Suppliment)

The ASCE 7-10 changed from the Maximum Considered Earthquake (MCE) to the
Maxium Considered Earthquake Risk Targeted (MCER).  The probability went
from a 2% chance of exceedance in 50 years for the MCE in the ASCE 7-05 to
a 1% chance of exceedance in 50 years for the MCER in the ASCE 7-10.

It all boils down to the risk of collapse for a given seismic event.

RE: The ASCE 7-10, Section C 11.4 presents this in general terms.

This is one of the papers that generated all of the excitement.
<http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/60342611.html>  The
paper was written for the 2007 SEAOC convention, but I am sure that most
engineers did not realize the implications.  Once it became the building
code, engineers were hit with the reality of ground motions going up.  In
some places the ground motions went down due to refinements in the mapping,
 source characterization, and attenuation.  But in general, the ground
accelerations went up.  Nico Luco was the primary author and one of the
smartest guys I have had the priviledge to know.  The other authors are
brilliant guys that most everyone will recognize.

Regards, Harold Sprague