Hardware Protection

I was wondering if anyone knew of any guidelines for hardware protection
for residential structures in close proximity to the ocean.  I have project
 in the Monterey, CA area which is about 7 to 8 miles from the ocean.  It
would seem to me that some added level of protection would be needed for
interior conditions but just how much.  Would specifying Simpson Z-max be
adequate? And what about nails, should they be hot dipped?  I also wonder
about hardware that is continuously exposed to the air such as deck
hangers.  Should these be hot-dipped or stainless steel?  Any help would be
 greatly appreciated.

Joe Goldbronn