Re: Hardware Protection

In the S.F. bay area ZMax & HDG for everything else seems to be adequate. If you were on the water front probably SS.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

On 12/3/2012 10:35 AM, Joseph Goldbronn wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any guidelines for hardware protection
for residential structures in close proximity to the ocean. I have project in the Monterey, CA area which is about 7 to 8 miles from the ocean. It would seem to me that some added level of protection would be needed for interior conditions but just how much. Would specifying Simpson Z-max be adequate? And what about nails, should they be hot dipped? I also wonder about hardware that is continuously exposed to the air such as deck hangers. Should these be hot-dipped or stainless steel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Goldbronn