RE: Hardware Protection

Joe,Yes there are.  Below are a few references:FEMA P 499 Residential
Coastal ConstructionFEMA P 55 Vol 1 and 2 Coastal Construction ManualUS
Army Corps of Engineers ERDC/CERL TR-02-5 Materials Selection Guide for
Army Installations Exposed to Severely Corrosive Environments  The ERDC
document above has a section on hardware.   Indirectly applicable to your
inquiry is TB 8-96 Corrosion Prot for Metal Connect in Coastal Areas.  It
has some good recommendations regarding SS vs. galvanizing.  Keep in mind
that you can specify different galvanizing with G 60 being the minimum.
Also all SS's are not the same.  The AISI grades are all over the map for
resistance for coastal environments.  I would advise against a 304 and
would use a 316 as a minimum because you can get pitting in the 304 which
the molybdenum in the 316 precludes for a moderate increase in cost.  If
the corrosion exposure is very severe, you should consider a 317L or 2205.
Your application would indicate that a 316 is about as far as you should
go.

Regards,
Harold Sprague