-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Harold Sprague Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2012 7:49 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Retaining wall drains

Will,
I use drains.  I use 4" diameter PVC drains at 8'-0" o.c.  I also backfill
with open graded aggregate (crushed rock or gravel).  The open graded
aggregate should have no fines and can be anything from 3/8" to 1").  The
open graded aggregate is wrapped with filter fabric to limit the amount of
fines that can get to the drains.  I generally have a cap of soil on the
top for planting.  I protect the drains with a #10 galvanized mesh to keep
the drains open.

It is also easy to consolidate the aggregate with a walk behind vibrating
compactor.  This puts a lot less pressure on the wall as opposed to
compacting a clay soil material.

Eventually the drains will fill with fines, but that will be a long, long
time from now.  I am old enough now to have seen buildings that I designed
in the early 1980's be demolished to make way for some other project.
.....oh well.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Truncated 446 characters in the previous message to save energy.