RE: Monorail for 2-3 ton Hoists

Gary,

Per Chapter 13, ASCE 7-10, the seismic loads are predicated on the weight
of the crane for Wp. The seismic demands are based on an upper bound of: Fp
 = 1.6SDSIpWp A value of SDS = 1.0 for Northwest Washington state with Site
 Class D soils should be a conservative estimate.  A monorail hoist Wp =
400 pounds. This would provide an upper bound lateral load for seismic of
about 640 pounds.

The lateral load of 20% for crane loading and you would have a LL + DL =
3,400 pounds results in a lateal load of about 680 pounds. So it is about a
 wash comparing seismic to the lateral load for a crane.  For preliminary
purposes, this should suffice.  You can tell your client it will not affect
 his estimate.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:46:04 -0500
> From: design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca
> Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Monorail for 2-3 ton Hoists
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> Thanks every one for the replies. I agree that the usual vert loads plus
> lateral loads will govern in most cases, but I didn't know the seismic
> coeff's for Washington state and my customer wanted to know if it would
> affect his cost estimate. Thanks again.
> Gary
>
> On 2012/12/09 12:33 PM, behnam heydari wrote:
>> Referring to AISC DG-07, At the first step the class of crane should be
>> specified.
>>
>> Generally for a typical Cranes which are used for maintenance or sth
>> like that live load (crane capacity) is not applicable for seismic load
>> and just dead load (including trolly+crane bridges+...) should be
>> considered.

Truncated 469 characters in the previous message to save energy.