RE: Flat Slab / Building Frame System in High Seismic Zones

Ahsan,

1.  There are no seismic zones any longer.  Seismic zones were used as
triggers for various provisions.  In the current code, seismic design
categories (SDC) are used to invoke various provisions.

2.  What you are describing would NOT be a dual system.  A dual system
shares out of plane seismic induced lateral forces.  Permitted systems for
SDC B through E are listed in ASCE 7, Table 12.14-1.  There is nothing to
preclude what you are describing, but as you note 100% of the seismic
forces would need to be resisted by the shear walls, and there are
limitations on the shear wall systems.

If you are in a SDC A, you can pretty much do anything you want.  But from
SDC B through E, there are requirements that must be satisfied.

Again, look at the ASCE 7, Table 12.14-1 for the fundamental requirements
and structural system restrictions.  You will then go to the ACI 318,
Chapter 21 for the specific details required.

Regards, Harold Sprague