RE: Fwd: MS Excel - iteration

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, if this is the same as
 a beam of span "L" with two point loads, P1 and P2 separated by a distance
 of "a", I would introduce another variable, "b" which would represent the
distance P1 is from the left support and then writethe equation for the
bending moment, shear and deflection of the beam in terms of L, a, b, P1
and P2. I would then create a column in Excel representing x/L in
increments of 0.01 (dividing the beam into 100points). The next column
would be x which would be the previous column multiplied by L. I would then
 insert the expression for bending moment as the next column, shears as the
 next column and deflections asthe next column. I would then set up
conditional formatting so that when values of bending moments, shears and
deflections exceeded the allowable, the values would be red and bold. After
 this is set up, I would MANUALLY adjust "b" and watch the results. It
would take me probably 5 minutes to find the acceptable range of "b", if
any exists.

But, I'm sure you could pour hours into programming to find a more elegant
solution.

My two cents.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

University of Southern California, M.S.C.E., 1983

University of Texas at El Paso, B.S.C.E., 1977

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

32302 Camino Capistrano, #206

San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675