Re: Fwd: MS Excel - iteration

Gary,
I would also do what Bill suggests.  My beam spreadsheets I have programmed
 operate this same way to generate shear and moment diagrams.  I only have
an equation written for shear.  Moment is determined by the area under the
shear curve.  Deflection is also based on the sheardiagram by using the
slope deflection and the second integral of themoment diagram.  Once it is
set up, you can easily modify it for point loads, tapered loads, and
uniform loads located at any location.  Then all you do is enter your
location of your points loads as they move across the beam.  Then you just
take note of the location for worst case shear, moment, and deflection and
determine if they are adequate.  You will still need to check the crane
rail beams for out of plane forces too.  AISC had at one time an excel
spreadsheet for crane rail beams that works pretty well.  I downloaded it
from their site for free to check some numbers on a crane rail beam I
designed once.  The file is called CraneBeam_v1_1.xls.  I'm not sure if
they still have it on their website, but that may be a good place to start.
 I think it will only do one crane though, but it could assist you in
determining if the rail beams could take any extra at all.

Jeff Hedman