Re: Fwd: MS Excel - iteration

Jim,
To avoid fatigue problems, I restrict continuous beams to those applications that are not subject to high cycles of loading. All the cranes I have dealt with in these situations are slow speed, pendant controlled which usually don't have fatigue problems. In addition I use "stocky" beams. So far in approx 40 years, I have had no problems. Knock on wood.
Gary

On 2013/01/04 2:24 PM, Jim Getaz wrote:
Gary,
I have not been thinking about the design item as I've read the posts,
just the design method. I understand that the beams are in place, but as
fatigue is the primary cause of crane beam deterioration, load reversals
are avoided. This means simple spans are preferred. Jim Getaz

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 2:00 PM To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Fwd: MS Excel - iteration

Bill et al,
I forgot to mention that the runway beams are continuous over 2 spans with equal and unequal spans. If it were a simple beam it would not be easy but a heck of a lot easier than continuous beams. In addition there are three different combinations of beam spans, combined with the different wheel loads and wheel spacings. What you have described may be something I programmed in Excel several years ago. For a simple beam, it was a fair bit of work and let's just say that it is an ongoing project.

Truncated 853 characters in the previous message to save energy.