Re: Design of Crane-Supporting Structure Including Testing Load

Benham,
Yes. The basic design with standard operating loads is adequate to include
the test case for WorkSafeBC.

I would imagine that the designer for a 200Ton crane would be available to
respond to questions but typically the test loads are not included in the
reported max static wheel loads.

> I have industrial concrete structure with 200 ton crane. My question is
> with regards to loads due to load-testing and rating of cranes. Workers
> Comp standards such as WorkSafeBC OHS Regulation 14 requires that cranes
be
> tested at 125% of their rated capacity. How is this requirement addressed
> in the design of the crane-supporting structure? Is it assumed that the
> maximum wheel loads provided by the crane supplier already include this
> 125%, or does the designer of the crane-supporting structure need to
> apply 125% to the wheel loads on top of the 1.5x1.25 load factors?
Alternatively,
> is it common practice to consider the 125% load test value in combination
> with 1.25 impact and a live load factor of less than 1.5 considering that
> the load is carefully controlled during the load test?

Regards
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.
--
Paul Ransom Engineering