Re: Fwd: Single Plate LST Holes

Thanks

Charles Canitz

-----Original Message-----
From: Davis Parsons <davisp2(--nospam--at)att.net>
To: seaint-seaosc <seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Fwd: Single Plate LST Holes

Charlie,

The values shown in Table 10-10 include the limit
state of bearing strength using Specification
formula J3-6a only. The limitations on the bolt
hole types for the Conventional Configuration SPSC
are stated to exclude long-slotted holes with slot
parallel to the direction of force, Spec formula
J3-6c.

If long slots are used, then the additional limit
state from formula J3-6c must be checked. However,
I have not found the bearing strength limited by
formula J3-6c on SPSC that are thick enough for
erection stability.

>From a fabricator/erector viewpoint, I have argued
against some of these limitations in Manual
committee meetings, but it seems there are too
many engineers on the committee who don't want to

Truncated 1966 characters in the previous message to save energy.