From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu>
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Nails etc. in Wet Wood
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Date: Friday, January 18, 2013, 12:07 PM

The reduction actually varies depending on the circumstances and connector
type, but 30% is nominally correct.  I will note that "circumstances" that
I refer to are either "at time of fabrication" or "in-service" in the 2005
NDS (and I assume the 2012 NDS, but have not checked recently).  Thus, the
NDS does consider more that just at fabrication.

I suppose the one way to deal with the concern is to do what contractors
typically accuse us of doing any way..."over-design" the connection.  Just
do the connection calculations using the appropriate CsubM factor (that is
the factor to account for moisture content) assuming a MC above 19%.

Of course, you do need to consider whether the wood is actually going to
reach a MC above 19% just due to being installed in the rain.  Wood being
wet on the surface will not necessarily mean the MC goes above 19%.  For
that to even be a remote possibility, the wood likely would have to be
sitting out in the rain for long periods of time such that it gets
"soaked".

Beyond that, you need to consider what will happen with the wood when it
gets to "in-service" conditions.  In the case of a building, then that

Truncated 1357 characters in the previous message to save energy.