Re: Nails etc. in Wet Wood

Can you send me the reference for the article you are referring to?

On 1/23/2013 7:49 AM, Mark Johnson wrote:
Thanks Scott.  I recently read an article about the combined  effect of
using gun nails and fabricating wet is about a 50% reduction. Always blows me away.

MJ

--- On Fri, 1/18/13, Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu> wrote:

From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu>
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Nails etc. in Wet Wood
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Date: Friday, January 18, 2013, 12:07 PM

The reduction actually varies depending on the circumstances and connector type, but 30% is nominally correct. I will note that "circumstances" that I refer to are either "at time of fabrication" or "in-service" in the 2005 NDS (and I assume the 2012 NDS, but have not checked recently). Thus, the NDS does consider more that just at fabrication. I suppose the one way to deal with the concern is to do what contractors

Truncated 833 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
*Drew Morris, PE*| /Project Engineer/
Ph: (907)274-2236 | Fax: (907)274-2520 | Web: www.bbfm.com