Re: [Seaint-SEAOSC] Nfpa

Matthew,
I do not have a current copy of the NFPA Life Safety Code, but I recall
that it references the ASCE 7.

Per ASCE 7
Dead loads consist of the weight of all materials
of construction incorporated into the building including,
but not limited to, walls, floors, roofs, ceilings,
stairways, built-in partitions, finishes, cladding, and
other similarly incorporated architectural and structural
items, and fixed service equipment including the
weight of cranes.

ROOF LIVE LOAD: A load on a roof produced
(1) during maintenance by workers, equipment, and
materials and (2) during the life of the structure by
movable objects, such as planters or other similar
small decorative appurtenances that are not occupancy
related.

If it is "fixed" it is a dead load and should not be counted as live load.
As an extreme example, if the solar panels weighed 20 psf, and your roof LL
 is 20 psf, you have zero capacity for the maintenance workers.

A similar issue was posed some years ago with ballasted satalite dishes on
roof tops.  They were categorized as dead load.  The "fixing" was the
ballast to keep it in place.  We located them in places (over columns and
girders) where we had sufficient margin.

Regards, Harold Sprague