Mobile 908-309-8657

From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Harold Sprague Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 12:23 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [Seaint-SEAOSC] Nfpa

Matthew,
I do not have a current copy of the NFPA Life Safety Code, but I recall
that it references the ASCE 7.

Per ASCE 7
Dead loads consist of the weight of all materials of construction
incorporated into the building including, but not limited to, walls,
floors, roofs, ceilings, stairways, built-in partitions, finishes,
cladding, and other similarly incorporated architectural and structural
items, and fixed service equipment including the weight of cranes.

ROOF LIVE LOAD: A load on a roof produced
(1) during maintenance by workers, equipment, and materials and (2) during
the life of the structure by movable objects, such as planters or other
similar small decorative appurtenances that are not occupancy related.

If it is "fixed" it is a dead load and should not be counted as live load.
As an extreme example, if the solar panels weighed 20 psf, and your roof LL
 is 20 psf, you have zero capacity for the maintenance workers.

Truncated 1122 characters in the previous message to save energy.