Stack Strakes

Fellow engineers,

        I have a client who manufactures flare systems for the oil and gas
industry.  A major component of these systems is the flare stack itself.
These stacks vary from 40' to 80' tall with the top 6' to 10' varying from
4" to 8" stainless steel pipe with a burner tip at the top.

        Occasionally, vortex shedding may be a concern; my client is
willing to go to almost any length to avoid the use of traditional strakes.

        My question "What do you think of the idea of creating strakes by
wrapping the top third of the stack with wire rope and securing the rope to
 the stack with clips that are tack welded to the stack?"  The cost of wire
 rope strakes would seem to be only a small fraction of the cost of
traditional rolled plate strakes.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson