Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Stack Strakes

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I don't do stacks or chimneys, but I have seen this term strates used before in SEAINT. What so these things look like? I didn't find much useful information on Google other than they breakup the airflow.

On 2/1/2013 10:01 AM, h.d.richardson(--nospam--at) wrote:
Fellow engineers,

I have a client who manufactures flare systems for the oil and gas
industry.  A major component of these systems is the flare stack itself.
These stacks vary from 40' to 80' tall with the top 6' to 10' varying from 4" to 8" stainless steel pipe with a burner tip at the top.

Occasionally, vortex shedding may be a concern; my client is
willing to go to almost any length to avoid the use of traditional strakes. My question "What do you think of the idea of creating strakes by wrapping the top third of the stack with wire rope and securing the rope to the stack with clips that are tack welded to the stack?" The cost of wire rope strakes would seem to be only a small fraction of the cost of
traditional rolled plate strakes.


H. Daryl Richardson

*Drew Morris, PE*| /Project Engineer/
BBFM Engineers, Inc. <>
510 L Street, Suite 200 | Anchorage, Alaska 99501
Ph: (907)274-2236 | Fax: (907)274-2520 | Web:

Post your message to the list by sending it to: SEAINT-SEAOSC(--nospam--at)

The email messages sent to the list will be saved in an archive on the World Wide Web.
These archives are located at:

To contact the list owner, send your message to:

5700 Ralston Street, Suite 300, Ventura, CA 93003

To unsubscribe, switch to/from digest, get on/off vacation, or change your email address, click here.