To: <seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Stack Strakes

Review Steel Stacks per ASME STS-1-2011 for vortex shedding criteria. The MECA stack program will help you avoid vortex shedding. We're presently involved in a number of signature poles in the 400 foot plus freestanding heights. We've haven't had a problem with our poles in over 10 years of doing them. AASHTO LTS-4-13 also has criteria. (Standard Specs for Luminaries and Traffic Signals). We know of one high pole that has run into trouble and had to be retrofitted. but it is in the 500 foot plus range. MECA Enterprises in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma has good programs and can also assist you. http://mecaenterprises.com/.

We're presently leasing their MEACStack program for our current work load. There are some other pole programs that may be helpful. There is some ASCE proceedings literature from the 1950's concerning some stacks that were exhibiting some behavior problems in a power plant near Watsonville. What you don't want is the Acuity flagpole response. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB82mqEyBBg. That pole was not up very long.

Neil

Truncated 1106 characters in the previous message to save energy.