Re: Which method do you like for calculating deflection

I like to use M/EI approach. It is simple and easy. All you need to do is
calculating the moments (M) at interior supports. Then the moment from the
area of the M/EI diagrams on any span will be the deflection you need to
superimpose to your simple span deflection of that same span.

If you have variable I girders, it will be some cumbersome though. So, I
developed some programs. It will not only print out the deflections for any
span combinations (up to 12 spans), it will also print out influence lines,
moments, shears and reactions. I have also developed some LRFD programs
(Pier analysis, Field Splice design). These programs are very handy in
planning and designing your bridge projects. Let me know if you are
interested.
TJ Fu
tzujfu(--nospam--at)gmail.com