Re: Fwd: Structural Systems

Hello Wajahat,

I didn't see where you stated how tall this basement wall was going to be.
I also didn't see where you stated the soil pressures.  Is the basement in
saturated soils?  (sump pumps working overtime)

Fo a typical non-saturated basement with 9 ft tall walls, I've easily used
8 inch thick walls with #4 rebar in a cantilevered design.  I've designed
a 19 ft. tall wall with more rebar and a couple more inches in thickness.
(this wasn't in a basement.  Though, the tallest basement that I've looked
at was 14 ft tall walls)

The problem that I see with this arrangement, if I'm understanding you
correctly, will be how to excavate this without the neighboring buildings
falling into the hole.  The buildings can be braced.  I've done that for
basements under existing structures, but then you'd need their permission
and maybe some compensation for disrupting them with the construction.

Where, in the world, will this be built?  Do you have other extenuating
circumstances?  Will you be installing the basement floor slab soon after
you place the concrete for the walls?  Are you planning to form the walls
and backfill after forms are removed?  Or are these walls to be shotcreted?

Take care,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.
Advantage Consulting Engineers
www.advantage-engineers.com

On 9 Apr 2013 at 12:00, Wajahat Nassar wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am working on a 900 sq ft, area where there are no basements on two
> sides and the owner wishes to have a basement for his property. I am
> not sure how this would work. The drawings say that a 9 inch retaining
> wall would be prepared to the actual footing depth. I am afraid that
> this wall may fail under cantilever load and may rotate forward.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thank you
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Wajahat