Re: Fwd: Structural Systems

Hi Lloyd,

The basement is 9 ft tall, with an 18 inch total raft. I don't have the
soil pressures for now, perhaps you could guide on that. The basement is
not excavated as of yet, so I don't know the type and the saturation of the
soil.

Yes, the problem is how to protect the neighboring buildings falling into
the hole.  How would the buildings be braced with minimal cost and
disturbance. I thought of steel bars embedded into the soil structure
underneath the foundation of the adjacent building.

the building is in Lahore, Pakistan. We will install the basement floor
slab immedately after the concrete for the walls. the walls would be
shotcreted, forms placed and filled with concrete.

Thank you

Regards,
Wajahat

On 9 April 2013 12:34, Lloyd Pack <lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com> wrote:

> Hello Wajahat,
>
> I didn't see where you stated how tall this basement wall was going to
> be. I also didn't see where you stated the soil pressures.  Is the
> basement in saturated soils?  (sump pumps working overtime)
>
> Fo a typical non-saturated basement with 9 ft tall walls, I've easily
> used 8 inch thick walls with #4 rebar in a cantilevered design.  I've
> designed a 19 ft. tall wall with more rebar and a couple more inches in
> thickness. (this wasn't in a basement.  Though, the tallest basement that
> I've looked at was 14 ft tall walls)
>
> The problem that I see with this arrangement, if I'm understanding you
> correctly, will be how to excavate this without the neighboring buildings
> falling into the hole.  The buildings can be braced.  I've done that for
> basements under existing structures, but then you'd need their permission
> and maybe some compensation for disrupting them with the construction.
>
> Where, in the world, will this be built?  Do you have other extenuating
> circumstances?  Will you be installing the basement floor slab soon after

Truncated 771 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
This e-mail message (including any attachments) is intended for the
addressee only, and may contain confidential information. The un-authorised