Upgrade Fatigue?

Just an observation, eliciting response.

I've noticed in particular with respect to ACI 318-11 and ASCE 7-10, there
seems to be real pushback on their adoption in practice.

I've noticed this in such things as design software, erection drawings for
steel buildings, and even examples of university engineering coursework
found online.

For whatever reason, with the introduction of the "International" codes in
the U.S. and the ICC decision to pursue a thee-year code update cycle,
coupled with their incorporating material design standards by reference,
the old five- or six-year update development cycle was of course abandoned
by the material design standard bodies in order to keep pace with the ICC.
Not sure why but there it is.

ASCE 7 has followed suit as well.

Now, I think perhaps the practicing community has simply grown tired of it,
 and at least in practice they're refusing to go along.

I notice for instance that Ron Hamburger is presenting at the upcoming
SEAOC monthly, on the "new" ASCE 7-10. Ahem. It's 2013.

And now I think I see the next ASCE 7 is not due till 2016? Is the insanity
 coming to a halt?

What think ye?

(P.S. ACI 318-14 will give us quite enough fat to chew on, I think. What,
did ACI get jealous of all the LRFD drama AISC got up to? Who's up for a
reality TV script pitch?)

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5