Re: Upgrade Fatigue?

On 4/10/2013 1:02 PM, Carl W. Jenne, P.E. wrote:
In Florida we've already adopted ASCE 7-10.  The revised wind provisions
with its different wind speeds have been a real hassle to explain to
architects.

Architect:  "What's the wind speed in that location?"  Us:  "It depends.
The wind blows harder on a hospital than it does on an office building."

In order to save us the trouble of multiplying by 1.15 they increased the
physical size of the code and opened a can of worms.  Ever try to explain
mean recurrence intervals to an architect?
We have noticed the same problem up here in Alaska. Where once you had to interpolate between closely spaced contours to determine the wind speed in coastal communities in Alaska, now with the much improved ASCE 7-10 version, we have to interpolate between three maps depending on the building classification. It would seem that if the problem was with the recurrence rates, they have kept with one map and adjust the importance factor.

Regards,
Carl W. Jenne, P.E.
Allan and Conrad, Inc.
Consulting Structural Engineers