Re: Optimizing material cuts

Thanks to all who responded.

It is a linear programming optimization problem, as was noted by several.
In the end, I probably spent almost as much time googling and reviewing the
possible utilities (mostly crippled beyond usability for my one time
requirement - I acknowledge the programmers value protection), as it would
have taken to define/debug an excel solver or grunt/sweat the problem
manually.

The results were positive for the project. If there is a next time, I will
already know a list of applications to license or I may have the timing and
opportunity to work it out with a friendly steel supplier.

Regards

Paul Ransom, P.Eng.