Re: Bent Plate Versus Rolled Angle

For gross properties the bent plate will probably be adequately close to
the mill angle. That's a quick check to confirm. The difference will
exhibit in the k region where the angle thickens with increased moment
resistance through the corner region (leg in flexure rotating about
corner). The bent plate will actually have reduced thickness through the
bend (and potential cracking) offset by strain hardening. So if leg bending
 in the corner region is critical, look carefully.

Regards

Paul Ransom, P.Eng.