Re: L-shaped A490 Anchor Bolts

I reread mine and wanted to clarify.

I'm not "attacking" you or anyone in particular. It's a more general pet
peeve of mine.

We tend to be lazy. We write up some general notes or specs at some point -
 maybe with thought, maybe just cribbed from someone else - and then we
reuse them for the rest of our careers without revisiting any of the
assumptions.

When I was doing legal work I saw three instances where a SEoR had drawing
notes from the Jurassic, many of which didn't even apply to the project at
hand or were obsolete, and in the course of the lawsuit, the plaintiff's
attorney was able to make hay with that fact, reinforcing the perception
the SEoR was incompetent or at the very least, lazy.

Even absent the ramifications of legal liability, we should be better than
this.

Using an L-bolt is a matter of preference. Personally I don't like them but
 can't complain if someone else does. They are common.

But there's no sense in having a spec that does not apply. An A490 is a
structural connection bolt, not an anchor bolt. It would be like speccing a
 base plate using material that's intended for a pressure vessel.

We should show more care.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5

On May 2, 2013, at 9:44 AM, "Rod Tayong" <rtayong(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies citing the specs and the cons on using shaped
> anchor bolts. It's well explained.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rod Tayong

Truncated 593 characters in the previous message to save energy.