From: Ashraf Manjappara <ashraf.manjappara(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Friction Steel Clamp calculation

Dear David,
In offshore structures, clamps are very common. The below are two
references deal with clamps in offshore industry.
1.  Development of design guidance for neoprene-lined clamps for offshore
application, Phase II,
Prepared by MSL Engineering Limited for the Health and Safety Executive
2002, Research report 031.
2. Assessment of Repair Techniques for Ageing or Damaged Structures,MMS
Project #502,
Prepared by MSL Engineering Limited for the Mineral Management Service, US
Department of Interior.

Regards
Ashraf

On 2 May 2013 18:33, David Cohen (Baran Raviv) <dcohen(--nospam--at)barviv.co.il> wrote:

> Dear everyone
> When calculating the friction resistance of a clamp tight with bolts
> around pipe, the axial force has to be divide by the contact area in
> order to get the friction stress. This stress divide by the friction
> factor should give a tight stress that the clamp would apply on the pipe.
> By this way this stress will give us the forces in bolts, by dividing it
> with the contact area again. And then the contact area is no longer a
> factor for the friction resistance of the clamp, and closing UBolts will
> give the same results.
>
> Is anyone of you have any experience in these kind of calculation, I will
> be great to receive information and guidelines for this
>
> Thanks
>
> David C.

> Confidentiality Message

Truncated 668 characters in the previous message to save energy.

<

This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by Baran
Mail-System for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses

Confidentiality Message

This email message, including its attachments, is intended only for the use
under applicable law. If the render of this notice is not the intended
recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
you have received this communication in error, please delete it from your
system forthwith and notify us immediately. Thank you.