-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Drew Morris Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 11:37 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] L-shaped Anchors

I can't provide documention, but a fellow in the office was attending a
seminar years ago and the speaker talked about a case where wind loads on a
 column for a building under construction wasn't braced properly.  The wind
 worked the anchor bolts loose by "pulling around the corner" so the column
 toppled over one night.

On 5/3/2013 5:35 AM, Paul Ransom wrote:
> This leads into a question that I ask every time the topic comes up:
>
> Does anybody have any first hand knowledge or are they aware of a
> documented failure that was initiated at the anchors? Harold
> previously described, as an example, a pressurised vessel that relied
> on substantial and sustained tension in the anchors. However, for more
> conventional stick-frame structures, has anybody ever observed a
> failure due to pullout of bent rods? I would even accept a research
> report on bent anchor performance.
>
> I like the one about the offset CG. That gives credibility to the
> installer who swears the anchors were straight when they left for lunch.

Truncated 417 characters in the previous message to save energy.