ACI 318-08 12.6 help

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding ACI 318-08 section 12.6 and how
it considers the provisions of Appendix D as it states in the commentary.

Hypothetically, let's say I have a single deformed bar with a headed anchor
 that meets the requirements of 12.6.1.  We'll use a #4 bar, with a head
that is 1.75x1.75 that is embedded 8" into a 4"x4" by 24" tall concrete
pier and I'll apply a tensile load to it.  According to section 12.6, this
connection develops the entire tensile capacity of the bar, but how does it
 take into account breakout and side-face blowout of appendix D?

Thanks!

Brian