Re: Twisted column

I have "repaired" a lot of columns and have had no problems to-date; knock on wood. One particular factory had 3 shifts going and the fork lift operators were having races until they drove into columns. Apparently the races were discontinued. I check the column for full load including eccentricity about both axes. If there is no over-stress I have not quite full length plates welded across the toes of the flanges. This hides the twist and strengthens the column considerably. If the problem is worse, I like to call a couple of local fabricators and get their feel for what to do as usually they have a lot of savvy. We often ended up putting in new plates on 4 sides which are also tied to the bent or twisted column with short plates. No shoring, no existing col removal, no concreting, and relatively quick so as to minimize plant disruption.
Gary
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Twisted column

I was called to a repair shop where a steel column had been hit. It is an interior built-up column for a pre-manufactured building, about 9" depth and 9" wide flanges made from 3/8 plate. Looking at the field measurements, I don't think the flanges arrived at the job site parallel.

The column has apparently been hit a few times. The column is about 18 feet high and at mid-height there is a frame welded to one flange that supports a lubricating hose reel and at about 3 feet above the floor, there is a steel table of 1 inch plate steel that has been fitted around the column on all sides and welded to the flanges. It hangs out about 2 feet from the flange. At the hose reel level, one can see the distance between the flanges increase from 9" to 9 5/8" and corresponding decrease on the other side. The variation exceeds the tolerances in AISC Table 1-22. There are no sharp kinks in the flanges, just a slow change in depth. Looking at the base, the column has been rotated a few degrees.