Re: bullet-proof glass anchorage

I would think that it has a lot to do with what your client wants
and what the application of the bulletproof glass is doing.

Is this for a building's exterior window?  Is this for a bank
teller window? Do they want this to stop all bullets, or just
handgun bullets?  Should the frame be the weak point? If the
frame is shot will it give out before the glass?

If this has to stop a .50 BMG round then you are dealing
with something much different than if it only has to stop a 9mm +P
pistol round.  And a .44 magnum has a lot more energy than
a .22 LR round.

Are you looking for a code requirement or a military document
recommending a specific method for design?  With these questions
answered, I would think that you'd be better able to develop the
solution for the specific problem that you're designing for.

Take care,
Lloyd

On 22 May 2013 at 13:49, David Topete wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> When looking to anchor a bulletproof glass panel, the aluminum frame
> itself is 1/8" thick 6063.  But, should I be looking to design the
> anchorage for the code standard 5 psf incidental lateral pressure?
> It's intended to "stop" a bullet, but I shouldn't be designing for a 1
> psi blast force pressure, right?
>
> --
> David Topete, SE

neers.com>