RE: bullet-proof glass anchorage

BP glazing is very heavy.  Per the building code, you have to resist the 5
psf partition load, or the seismic demand whichever is greater.  Unless you
 have a very small glazing area, it would be difficult to imangine that the
 impact of a bullet using UL 752, Level 4 to drive the frame design.  The
UL 751, Level 4 is a single shot from a 30-06, 180 grain, JSP, at a
velocity range of 2540 to 2794 fps.

You can perform a nonlinear dynamic analysis and make a conservative
assumption of steel to get the penetration.  I think that you will find
that because of the mass of the glass, it will be difficult for the impact

You can also call a BP glazing manufacturer to get some bounding design
information for the frame.  Global Security provides installation details.

<http://www.security-glazing.com/installation.html>

Regards, Harold Sprague

> Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:00:05 -0700
> From: d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] bullet-proof glass anchorage
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> Thanks, Lloyd. I'm chasing for a performance spec from the user/client.
> The glass itself is level 4. I would venture to guess it'd be similar to
> a bank teller window. (Not uncommon in some urban areas...) The bp glass
> frame would attach to the metal stud framing. But, I doubt they want it
> detailed and framed as your standard non-bearing interior partition.
>
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Lloyd Pack
> <lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com>wrote:
>
>> I would think that it has a lot to do with what your client wants
>> and what the application of the bulletproof glass is doing.
>>
>> Is this for a building's exterior window? Is this for a bank
>> teller window? Do they want this to stop all bullets, or just
>> handgun bullets? Should the frame be the weak point? If the

Truncated 658 characters in the previous message to save energy.