Re: bullet-proof glass anchorage

Thank you, Harold.  This is the information and reassurance I was looking
for.  I've contacted the manufacturer for more information.  Very much
appreciated, kind sir.

David

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Harold Sprague
<spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>wrote:

> BP glazing is very heavy.  Per the building code, you have to resist the
> 5 psf partition load, or the seismic demand whichever is greater.  Unless
> you have a very small glazing area, it would be difficult to imangine
> that the impact of a bullet using UL 752, Level 4 to drive the frame
> design.  The UL 751, Level 4 is a single shot from a 30-06, 180 grain,
> JSP, at a velocity range of 2540 to 2794 fps.
>
> You can perform a nonlinear dynamic analysis and make a conservative
> assumption of steel to get the penetration.  I think that you will find
> that because of the mass of the glass, it will be difficult for the
> impact loading to be consequential for the frame.
>
> You can also call a BP glazing manufacturer to get some bounding design
> information for the frame.  Global Security provides installation
> details.
> <http://www.security-glazing.com/installation.html>
>
> Regards, Harold Sprague
>
>> Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:00:05 -0700

Truncated 1005 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
David Topete, SE