Re: bullet-proof glass anchorage

David,

You need to look at the spec.  When we design glazed aluminum windows and
storefronts for blast, the spec will clearly identify the design criteria,
such charge type and stand off distance, loads that glass, frame and
connections need to be designed for and design standards such as E1300,
ASTM F2248, UFC 4-010-01with a specific amendments.

If blast design is not in specs then all you need to do is to check the
frame and connections for environmental loads such as seismic or wind.

Good luck,

Sasha Itsekson,  SE

> Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:49:47 -0700
> From: David Topete <d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
> Subject: bullet-proof glass anchorage
>
> Greetings all,
>
> When looking to anchor a bulletproof glass panel, the aluminum frame
> itself is 1/8" thick 6063.  But, should I be looking to design the
> anchorage for the code standard 5 psf incidental lateral pressure?  It's
> intended to "stop" a bullet, but I shouldn't be designing for a 1 psi
> blast force pressure, right?
>
> --
> David Topete, SE

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III