RE: Oklahoma Schools unpreparedness?

Enhanced tornado protection areas have been formally designed for probably
2 decades.  An EF 5 tornado CAN produce winds that could exceed the
capacity of a ETPA, but tornados are ranked for the maximum velocity which
is very inconsistent as it moves along the ground.  An EF 5 is very rare,
but if you have no ETPA, you have no chance.  There were survivors in the
building that consisted of partially grouted masonry walls with only a
dropped cieling.  I discussed the nature of tornadic winds many years ago
with Dr. Fujita in Chicago.

I could cite the 100's of schools that have been hit, and reconstructed
with no ETPA.  ETPA's are not that expensive.  You take the bathrooms and
provide solid grouted walls with a concrete roof and an indirect entry.  My
 uncle built one for his resort in 1959 in Branson, MO.  It provided
comfort for his guests even though in about 50 years of service his resort
was not hit by a tornado of any size.

It is interesting to do the probabilistic survey of an EF 2 or greater for
a building in tornado alley.  The odds are very long.  But if you look at a
 county, the odds shorten.  A tornado does not cover a very large area.
But if it is YOUR area, you are concerned.  It is just not worth the worry
to NOT have a school or public building without an ETPA.

Regards, Harold Sprague