RE: Oklahoma Schools unpreparedness?

I have designed structures to resist weapons and extreme loads of all
kinds.  A tornado safe room is not that difficult.  FEMA 361 is one of the
better guides for safe rooms.  They post design criteria, costs and example
 designs.  We have a lot of well intentioned licensure regulations.  If
someone designs schools, they should at least have a familiarity with FEMA
361.

When we see the tornado maps and see the huge wind velocities, we need to
bear in mind that those velocities represent a 100,000 year mean recurrence
 interval for a given location.  Tornado wind velocities are highly
variable in time and across a given plane.  The EF scale looks more at the
peak. The statistical probabilities have not changed significantly.  It is
difficult to convince anyone to design for a 100,000 year mean recurrence
interval.

That said, if the costs are "reasonable", it is wise to provide shelter
areas and the FEMA 361 is a good starting point.  We have to build
bathrooms.  It does not cost that much more to make them into shelter
areas.  Texas Tech has volumes of papers on the topic of tornados and
shelters.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> From: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 23:13:38 -0500
> Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Oklahoma Schools unpreparedness?
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> Can you imagine a direct hit by a bunker-buster bomb?
>
> William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
>
> 5
>
> On May 23, 2013, at 10:13 PM, "V. Steve Gordin"
> <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com> wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>
>> Are you saying that nothing can be done?
>> Does not seem quite so...
>>
>> V. Steve Gordin SE

Truncated 375 characters in the previous message to save energy.