Re: AP: Wash. State bridge collapses into Skagit River; sends vehicles, people into water

Here is a personal photo of a 6-lane bridge that was listed as
"structurally deficient" in 2007 (photo is from 2007, deck was placed in
the 60's).

http://imgur.com/JFS4zRM

Thats about 10' width of decking underside between the box structures.

Here is a photo of a AASHTO-I-beam added later used to support expanded
lanes (deck expanded to 6 lanes total instead of 4):

http://imgur.com/JFS4zRM,7ffgiV4#1

The reconstruction just started this year. In general, DOTs care, but they
are spending money to fix leaking holes. I think serious thought needs to
be given to reconsidering what is considered "acceptable" vs
"unacceptable". The bridge I show survived the 6 years between this
inspection and the replacement, but I would never personally feel
comfortable driving over sad bridge, and I feel a disaster was avoided due
to pure luck.

--
Michael Stone
786-897-9041