-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Abolhassan Astaneh Sent: May-24-13 6:18 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] AP: Wash. State bridge collapses into Skagit
River; sends vehicles, people into water

Allen,

In this case of course the initiating cause of collapse was the impact of
truck hitting the sway braces. But not all bridges being hit by a force
that they are not designed for should totally collapse.  Especially due to
inherit ductility of steel as a material, steel structures can take quite a
 lot of beating before you can actually collapse the entire span. But,
there is very important exception to this and that is all bets on ductility
and redundancy are off if the bridge is "fracture critical" which this
bridge was.    In other words, it would have made any difference if this
bridge was opened to traffic the day before yesterday and its rating of
course would be 9/9 at the time of opening. Still because it was 'fracture
critical" if it was hit by the same truck , it would collapse the same way.
 As you know, "Fracture Critical" bridge is a bridge that if a single
member or connection fails  (fractures, buckles or yields) the entire
bridge can collapse.  essentially fracture critical trusses are trusses
that are determinate.  As we know from our Static course, in a determinate
truss you can find member forces  by using only equilibrium, which is nice
and you really do not need computers, but, if you remove a member or a
connection from a determinate structure , it becomes unstable and
collapses.  That is

Truncated 5150 characters in the previous message to save energy.