RE: AP: Wash. State bridge

Agreed.  None should drive an over height/size anything onto a bridge
(without supervision), however, Joe public is not unreasonable asking why
the bridge was designed in, what is effectively, a fragile condition.  From
 this point in time, the answer is almost rhetorical and the real question
is, maybe, are we doing anything about it.

Many ages ago, I was reminded by a peer that, (engineers) are remembered,
not for finding problems but for solving them ...

Bridges are not the only items that suffer from this ailment when you
consider that a lot of pre-computer era structures were conceived and
designed with only the power of, eg, the slide rule.  I can't help
remarking that these issues only really come to light when there is a
failure, especially if there is also a body count.

So I wonder if the (bridge) rating system is failing to include the
(potential) impact of fracture-critical (and other?) conditions ... another
 example of low probability but high impact ...?   But maybe that's a
political issue.

Anyway this event again highlights our aging infrastructure calling for
some TLC or update ...

Back to Hassan's query ... questions answered truthfully (verifiable by a
3rd party?) but without excessive information are the best.  In this case,
I tend to think that, unless one is involved in the direct investigation
and part of the conclusions, one should probably ensure, and state, that
the answers given are (for the moment) opinion/surmising only ...

An aside ... there is an interesting article in this month's IStructE "The
Structural Engineer" called, "the 30 year failure cycle".  Haven't read it
all but it's a bit like we all go through periods when certain events seem
to occur in batches, like sicknesses, deaths etc.  It's not surprising that
 30 years seems a likely cycle for infrastructure woes ... like sunspots
maybe :)

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
Victoria, BC
Canada
Email: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
Please consider the environment before printing out this e-mail