From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of nma Sent: May-27-13 6:25 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] AP: Wash. State bridge

Thor:

Apparently we have a couple of scenarios going on here.  The first is some
sort of mix up in the posting of the bridge height and which lane the truck
 was suppose to be in when the load hit an overhead member. There are some
articles on the net that address this problem. Without redundancy, it's a
no brainer that the bridge will collapse.  The second is the
fracture-critical problem, which it appears has been a known problem for
many years and there is inspector instructions by a number of state DOT's
addressing this problem.  We also haven't done any bridge design since the
early 80's and my "formal" bridge design was being learned when I worked
for the Cal. Bridge Department in the 50's. Nevertheless, I suspect that
contemporary bridge design is addressing these issues and from the
literature on the net, inspections are finding cracks and doing some sort
of repair or monitoring.   Most likely someone else on our structural list
can address this.

If you want to take a course in this vocation, here's a training ad:

Truncated 1059 characters in the previous message to save energy.