RE: AP: Wash. State bridge

The NTSB is being polite in how they present this, but this was a problem
with stupid.  This problem did not have to happen.  The driver had the
appropriate permits issued by the State of Washington, and the driver's
permit listed the load height at 15'-9".  The driver was conscientious and
even measured his load height while he was underway.  The bridge clearance
was 14'-5".  The bridge had been hit before by high loads.  Washington
regulations only require posting the height limits on a bridge if they are
less than 14'-4".

The driver's permit stated "Does Not Guarantee Height Clearance."

The state cannot afford about a dollars worth of paint or a $10 sign, and
now it is going to cost $15 million to replace the bridge.  And the Federal
 government is going to provide $1 million in emergency aid.

We have Google Earth and posting height and load limits is a key stroke
away for any DOT to use.  If they have time to inspect a bridge, pulling up
 Google Earth and posting the height limits is not that difficult.

This is one of those problems that did not have to happen.  But as long as
we do not hold our bureaucrats accountable, we will spend $15 million to
solve a $1 problem.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> From: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 07:27:59 -0700
> Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] AP: Wash. State bridge
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> Hi Neil
>
> Interesting looking course, thanks.
>
> Thor

Truncated 1126 characters in the previous message to save energy.