Re: AP: Wash. State bridge

Well, Jerry Brown, our current governor did away with California's Bridge Department in his first term.

Neil

On 5/27/2013 8:43 AM, Bill Polhemus wrote:
TxDOT was - understandably - quite pissed when about 20 years ago the state legislature forced them to begin outsourcing some or even most of their engineering. Reasonable minds can certainly disagree on the wisdom of that. And it was, again, more about politics than the stated aim of providing services through the free market. That was kind of silly anyway, since they made sure that the State wasn't allowed to select consultants based on price.

Crony capitalism yet again.

Anyway, TxDOT "retaliated" somewhat by constantly hounding consultants,
many of whom had little prior experience with transportation facilities
design, such that any problems in construction or facility function brought out the flogs.

Meanwhile, a former TxDOT engineer I worked with later stated that some of the same problems we were constantly on guard concerning, were regular
"features" of TxDOT-designed projects.

"They just call it a maintenance issue, and nothing else is said," she

Truncated 1523 characters in the previous message to save energy.