RE: AP: Wash. State bridge

Those who know me might find this surprising, but after my experience of
five years working almost exclusively on Texas DOT projects in the late
1990s, including close contact with TxDOT engineering and project
management personnel, I came to the conclusion that the move to "privatize"
 engineering design of transportation facilities was a huge mistake, and
possibly the worst example of "crony capitalism" that you could find at
that time - at the state level.

(Our current Federal government's "pay to play" and "investment" (in
boondoggles) mentality makes it seem like child's play in comparison, but
that's a different conversation).

The fact of the matter is, the move twenty years ago toward "privatization"
 was pushed solely by a certain industry organization with whom most of us
might be familiar, and aimed more at creating a comfy chair for "beltway
bandits" than anything else. The fact is that despite the demonstrable
waste that certainly goes on in huge state-level organizations like TxDOT
(often called before the current era, the "Texas Department of Defense"),
such waste can be handled best by adequate oversight of entities like
Inspectors General.

Simply declaring that "the private sector can always do it better," when in
 reality you're just grooming a small segment of large-dollar donors to
receive all that work at a considerable mark-up, was folly to say the
least. The best a "small player" is ever able to do in that climate, is
latch onto a "sugar daddy" large-player organization such that some crumbs
fall from the table. It was always about lining the pockets of political
patrons, no more.

I detest "big government," whether it's represented by in-house
organizations like the increasingly-menacing IRS, or a political player
like SOLYNDRA. Calling this "privatization" is like a pimp calling his
stable of whores "his family."

What I discovered in my discussions with the TxDOT Bridge Engineers in
particular - people who live and breathe bridge engineering, participate in
 research and even in development of the AASHTO design codes - is that they
 spent easily TWICE the amount of time trying to ride herd on the private
consultants whose understanding of the fundamentals of bridge design were
laughably small in comparison, than if the bridge engineers did the work
themselves.

Yeah, there's waste in any large governmental organization. But you can
address that without crony capitalist shenanigans that serve the public
good not at all.

(AS ALWAYS, THIS AND ALL OTHER EMAILS SENT BY ME REFLECT MY PERSONAL
OPINIONS AND ARE NOT IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH MY CURRENT OR FORMER
EMPLOYMENT).