Re: AP: Wash. State bridge

*Functional Obsolescence versus **Structural Deficiency..*
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/infrastructure/just-how-fragile-are-americas-bridges-15526104?click=pm_latest&src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1457_9012165

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Polhemus, William
<wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com>wrote:

> Those who know me might find this surprising, but after my experience of
> five years working almost exclusively on Texas DOT projects in the late
> 1990s, including close contact with TxDOT engineering and project
> management personnel, I came to the conclusion that the move to
> "privatize" engineering design of transportation facilities was a huge
> mistake, and possibly the worst example of "crony capitalism" that you
> could find at that time - at the state level.
>
> (Our current Federal government's "pay to play" and "investment" (in
> boondoggles) mentality makes it seem like child's play in comparison, but
> that's a different conversation).
>
> The fact of the matter is, the move twenty years ago toward
> "privatization" was pushed solely by a certain industry organization with
> whom most of us might be familiar, and aimed more at creating a comfy
> chair for "beltway bandits" than anything else. The fact is that despite
> the demonstrable waste that certainly goes on in huge state-level
> organizations like TxDOT (often called before the current era, the "Texas
> Department of Defense"), such waste can be handled best by adequate
> oversight of entities like Inspectors General.

Truncated 2774 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
Jose M Rojas Guzman