Damaged Engineered Wood Product

Hi Everyone

I am assessing the damage to existing installed I-joists and LVL's. The
floor assembly has been exposed to sewage backup and overflow for duration
of several weeks. Oh joy!  We get all dressed up in hazmat suits just for
the fun of it.  Some of the damage is obvious but I'm trying to find
information and advice on the impact of this (corrosive?) type of exposure
on the material and the glues etc.

I've tried to email and talk to Weyerhaeuser/Trus-joist but I guess since
I'm not buying they aren't interested since I've had zero response to my
plea .

Does anyone on the list have some ideas?

I am planning to do a joist-by-joist etc inspection and try to find the
squishy spots but I don't have any information about the (structural)
impact on both the glues and the base materials.  The aim is to minimize
the replacement or sistering of new joist etc. so I'd like to be able to
check off adequate elements and fail the others . I guess my concern is
that even if it looks OK .?

TIA

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
Victoria, BC

Canada
Email:  <mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net> vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net

hst_ngc4414_9925Please consider the environment before printing out this
e-mail